ALS Limited were inducted in 2012 under the former company name, Campbell Brothers Limited.
After arriving in Queensland from Scotland, Peter Morrison Campbell established a soap factory initially at Kangaroo Point, before relocating to Bowen Hills in 1881. It was to remain there for more than a century producing soaps and chemicals. Campbell Brothers Limited was floated as a public company in 1952.
Throughout its life Campbell Brothers has maintained the entrepreneurial spirit of its founder and, in 1981, acquired a controlling interest in Australian Laboratory Services before acquiring complete ownership a few years later. It proved to be an outstanding acquisition as 97% of the operating profits of the company are now derived from analytical services.
Today the laboratory services business is a genuinely global business operating from 300 sites on 6 continents and 53 countries, employing more than 11,000 staff. It is the largest provider of environmental analytical chemistry services in the world.
The company, under conservative, but performance focussed leadership, consistently delivers increased annual profits. Recently, Campbell Brothers announced a record financial result for the year ended 31 March 2012, with a net profit after tax of $222.4 million, a 68% increase on the previous year’s net profit of $132.4 million. The result was generated from revenue of $1.406 billion, an increase of 27% on the previous year’s revenue of $1.108 billion.
Campbell Brothers is a proud Queenslander providing excellent scientific and professional employment opportunities locally, as well as providing good opportunities for company directors in Queensland.
Campbell Brothers has a strong commitment to the environment, the community and philanthropy, increasingly in partnership with its employees and proudly reflects many of its early Scottish influences.